Arte Lombarda: journal, articles, subscriptions

ARTE LOMBARDA

Art History magazine founded in 1955

“Arte Lombarda” was founded in 1955 by Maria Luisa Gatti Perer and since then it has played an irreplaceable role in scientific updating for studies on the works and artists that have marked the centuries of Lombard artistic culture. An important crossroads of European figurative and architectural civilization, Lombardy has for over fifty years been documented and illustrated on the pages of the journal by the most prestigious names in the history of art, alternating miscellaneous issues with monographic issues dedicated to international conferences and systematic reconnaissance reports. The journal has always been a meeting and debate point for all those who in Italy and abroad carry out research on the Lombard artistic heritage, on its protagonists and on the dissemination of its models on a national and international scale, from the ancient age to the contemporary age, through rigorous historical-critical studies. Published every four months, each issue is accompanied by a rich and well-finished iconographic set, in black and white and in color, and by abstracts in English.

Papers submitted to "Arte Lombarda" are double-blind peer reviewed by specialized scholars

A Anvur Category for 8th 
Area 

The journal is considered "scientific journal" for these Anvur Areas: 08, 10, 11

Available on:
  JSTORGoogle Scholar

ISSN carta: 0004-3443
ISSN digitale: 2785-1117

In this issue

SOMMARIO

Editoriale
pages: 1 Download
Presentazioni
pages: 2 Download
Esordi rinascimentali in Sant’Antonio a Morbegno. Attorno alla cappella dei Santi Vincenzo Ferreri e Vincenzo martire
by Alessandro Rovetta pages: 24 € 6.00
Abstract
The observant Dominican convent of Morbegno was founded in 1457 with the assignation of the ancient church dedicated to Saint Anthony and Saint Martha. the restorations of 1982 partially recovered the first frescoes along the southern wall of the church. Dominican saints and blesseds are depicted there, including Andrea Grego of Peschiera, protagonist of the presence of the Ordo Praedicatorum in Valtellina, who died in 1485. In the same year the first  cloister of the convent was consecrated by branda Castiglioni. In the ancient chapter house and in the refectory two Crucifixions are preserved, the first signed by Lorenzo De benzi of torno. the enlargement of the church led to the  construction of chapels which were progressively decorated with frescoes. the first cycle was painted in 1492 in the Malaguzzini chapel, dedicated to Saint Vincent Ferrer and Saint Vincent the martyr. the frescoes, in a poor state of conservation, show the Glory and Stories of Saint Vincent Ferrer displaying an accurate knowledge of the events and devotion of the Valencian saint. the figurative culture of the cycle derives from the presence and activity of  Gottardo and Felice Scotti between Lario and Valtellina. the author proposes to recognize the hand of bartolomeo De benzi. bartolomeo had recently separated from Felice Scotti, with whom he had trained, and was probably forming his own workshop, very active around 1500. the Vincentian cycle also demonstrates an attentive look at the finest language of Giovan Pietro Malacrida of Como, whose catalogue is here retraced, including a Dominican triptych, now in the Diocesan Museum of Warsaw, and a fragment of a fresco, now in the municipal library of Missaglia.

Il convento domenicano osservante di Morbegno venne fondato nel 1457 con l’assegnazione dell’antica chiesa dedicata a Sant’Antonio e Santa Marta. I restauri del 1982 hanno parzialmente recuperato i primi affreschi lungo la parete sud della chiesa. Vi sono raffigurati santi e beati domenicani, tra cui Andrea Grego da Peschiera, protagonista della presenza dell’Ordo Praedicatorum in Valtellina, morto nel 1485. Nello stesso anno fu consacrato da Branda Castiglioni il primo chiostro del convento. Nell’antica sala capitolare e nel refettorio si conservano due Crocifissioni, la prima firmata da Lorenzo De Benzi di torno. L’ampliamento della chiesa portò alla costruzione di cappelle che furono progressivamente decorate con affreschi. Il primo ciclo fu dipinto nel 1492 nella cappella Malaguzzini, dedicata a San Vincenzo Ferrer e San Vincenzo martire. Gli affreschi, in pessimo stato di conservazione, raffigurano la Gloria e le Storie di San Vincenzo Ferrer dimostrando un’accurata conoscenza delle vicende e della devozione del santo valenciano. La cultura figurativa del ciclo deriva dalla presenza e dall’attività di Gottardo e Felice Scotti tra Lario e Valtellina. L’autore propone di riconoscere la mano di Bartolomeo De Benzi. Bartolomeo si era da poco separato da Felice Scotti, presso il quale si era formato, e stava probabilmente costituendo una propria bottega, molto attiva intorno al 1500. Il ciclo vincenziano dimostra anche uno sguardo attento al linguaggio più raffinato del comasco Giovan Pietro Malacrida, il cui catalogo è qui ripercorso, tra cui un trittico domenicano, ora al Museo Diocesano di Varsavia, e un frammento di affresco, ora nella Biblioteca comunale di Missaglia.

Alvise De Donati: la sua attività a Morbegno e a Gravedona
by Valentina Dell'Orto pages: 17 € 6.00
Abstract
Alvise De Donati was an undisputed protagonist of the renaissance in Valtellina and Alto Lario, where, at the end of the 15th century, he diffused the artistic novelties from Milan. Although his very first activity is partially clouded in  mystery, due to the scarcity of documents and signed works, this essay tries to highlight his contribution to the Dominican church of sant’Antonio in Morbegno. In particular, as stated by Giacinto Fontana’s manuscript (1759-60;  sondrio, Pio rajna Library), the names of the patrons of the chapel dedicated to st. Peter Martyr and st. Dominic have been disclosed. thanks to the rediscovery of some fresco fragments in the roof space over this chapel, it was  possible to recognise the distinctive style of Alvise De Donati and of the members of his workshop. the research also corroborates the role of Alvise in the church of santa Maria delle Grazie in Gravedona (1509), an important  Augustinian building, during the renaissance. In particular, thanks to new stylistic and iconographic comparisons with works signed by him, the Stories of Saint Anthony Abbot and the Madonna and Child between the Saints Peter Martyr and John the Baptist have now been ascribed to him with certainty.

Alvise De Donati è stato il protagonista indiscusso della stagione rinascimentale valtellinese e alto lariana, dove fu il traghettatore delle novità artistiche della Milano di fine Quattrocento. Sebbene la sua primissima attività sia parzialmente avvolta nell’ombra, per l’assenza di documenti e di opere firmate, in questa sede si cerca di mettere a fuoco il suo ruolo nel cantiere domenicano di Sant’Antonio a Morbegno. In particolare, considerando il manoscritto di Carlo Giacinto Fontana (1759-60; Sondrio, Biblioteca Pio Rayna), sono emersi i nomi dei committenti della cappella dedicata ai Santi Pietro Martire e Domenico. Grazie alla riscoperta di alcuni lacerti di affresco nel sottotetto di questa  cappella, è stato possibile riconoscere la mano di Alvise De Donati e della sua bottega. Il contributo, inoltre, riconferma il ruolo di Alvise nel cantiere di Santa Maria delle Grazie a Gravedona (1509), un importante edificio agostiniano in epoca rinascimentale. In particolare, tramite nuovi confronti iconografici e tipologici con opere da lui firmate, vengono attribuiti con certezza al pittore le Storie di Sant’Antonio Abate e la Madonna con il Bambino tra i Santi Pietro Martire e Giovanni Battista.

Per il cantiere del presbiterio di San Maurizio a Ponte in Valtellina: il caso anomalo dei medaglioni marmorei con gli Apostoli
by Vito Zani pages: 11 € 6.00
Abstract
The incomplete cycle of eight medallions with busts of Apostles in the presbytery of the church of San Maurizio in Ponte in Valtellina represents an episode that is difficult to interpret in the context of late 15th century sculpture in  Lombardy. These works are undocumented, but certainly made between 1495 and 1500, during the reconstruction of the church’s presbytery. In the late 19th century, the discovery of part of the documentation related to these  building works led to the rediscovery of these valuable sculptures, which immediately became the object of interest by collectors. A consequence was the dispersal of some elements and, in part, also the substantial critical misfortune  of these masterpieces, which was otherwise attributable also to their difficult intelligibility. The essay, in addition to presenting a rediscovered element of the cycle, highlights the stylistic relationships of these works with  some important coeval sculptures between Milan and Pavia, which are also of great quality but difficult to decipher stylistically. It turns out that the strange mixture of Lombard and Tuscan elements, is likely to be traced back to  Alberto Maffioli da Carrara and the composite group of Lombard and Tuscan masters who collaborated with him during his stay in the Duchy of Milan, between 1489 and 1497.

Il ciclo incompleto di otto medaglioni con busti di Apostoli nel presbiterio della chiesa di San Maurizio a Ponte in Valtellina rappresenta un episodio difficilmente interpretabile nel contesto della scultura del tardo Quattrocento in Lombardia. Si tratta di opere non documentate, ma sicuramente realizzate tra il 1495 e il 1500, in occasione della ricostruzione del presbiterio della chiesa. Nel tardo Ottocento, la scoperta di parte della documentazione relativa a tali lavori determinò la riscoperta di queste pregiate sculture, che subito dovettero diventare oggetto di interesse da parte di collezionisti. Fu conseguenza di ciò la dispersione di alcuni esemplari e, in parte, anche la sostanziale sfortuna critica di questi capolavori, per il resto addebitabile alla loro difficoltosa comprensione. Il saggio, oltre a presentare un elemento ritrovato del ciclo, mette in luce i rapporti stilistici di queste opere con alcune importanti sculture coeve tra Milano e Pavia, anch’esse di grande qualità ma di difficile decifrazione stilistica. È emerso che la strana commistione di elementi lombardi e toscani, variamente combinati a seconda delle opere, è verosimilmente da ricondurre ad Alberto Maffioli da Carrara e al composito gruppo di maestri  lombardi e toscani che collaborarono con lui durante il suo soggiorno nel ducato di Milano, tra il 1489 e il 1495-1497.

La cappella della Beata Vergine in San Maurizio a Ponte in Valtellina: stato degli studi e novità sull’originario assetto decorativo
by Eugenia Bianchi pages: 9 € 6.00
Abstract
The chapel of the Blessed Virgin in San Maurizio in Ponte in Valtellina was managed by confraternity of the same name, also known as the Scuola Maggiore dei Laici. This paper reviews the studies of the decorative apparatus in his  two most important episodes: the wooden altarpiece unanimously attributed to Giacomo Del Maino and workshop, and the frescoes of the vault and walls, for which there is still debate on the attribution or less to Felice Scotti, a  painter often documented in Valtellina between the 15th and 16th centuries and present in Ponte on several occasions, in 1498 and in 1505. The current appearance does not correspond to that desired at the end of the 15th century  by the confraternity that was based there. Del Maino’s wooden altarpiece now leaning against the back wall, in an obviously not original location, was actually located in the presbytery and in its place was placed a smaller retable  containing a statue of the Madonna with the Child Jesus in her arms and surrounded by four ceroferary angels. It is not possible to know with certainty the precise date of the replacement of this last artifact with that of Giacomo Del  Maino. However, it is conceivable a moment shortly after 1646 when a redevelopment of the choir took place to adapt it to post-Tridentine regulations.

La cappella della Beata Vergine in San Maurizio a Ponte in Valtellina era sede dall’omonima confraternita, nota anche con il nome di Scuola Maggiore dei Laici. Il contributo ripercorre la fortuna critica dell’apparato decorativo del vano nei due episodi più importanti: l’ancona concordemente attribuita a Giacomo Del Maino e bottega e gli affreschi della volta e delle pareti, per i quali ancora si dibatte sull’attribuzione o meno a Felice Scotti, pittore spesso documentato in Valtellina tra Quattro e Cinquecento e presente a Ponte a più riprese, nel 1498 e nel 1505. L’aspetto attuale non corrisponde a quello voluto alla fine del XV secolo dalla confraternita che qui aveva sede. L’ancona di Del Maino oggi addossata sulla parete di fondo, in una situazione a evidenza posticcia, si trovava in realtà nel presbiterio e al suo posto era collocato un retablo di minore dimensione contenente una statua della Madonna con Gesù Bambino in braccio e attorniato da quattro angeli ceroferari. Non è possibile sapere con certezza la data precisa della sostituzione di quest’ultimo manufatto con quello di Giacomo Del Maino. È tuttavia ipotizzabile un momento di poco successivo al 1646 quando si operò una riqualificazione del coro,  un’operazione di adeguamento alle normative post tridentine da parte della comunità di Ponte.

La cappella della Beata Vergine in San Maurizio a Ponte in Valtellina: artisti e committenti
by Stefania Buganza pages: 26 € 6.00
Abstract
The article focuses on the valuable cycle of frescoes that decorate the chapel of the Blessed Virgin in the church of San Maurizio in Ponte in Valtellina. The chapel was the prerogative over the centuries of the School of the Blessed  Virgin, which brought together the major personalities of the important Valtellina municipality, all belonging to the Quadrio family. The discussion of the cycle and the study of its author is preceded by an in-depth analysis of the  Scotti family and of the critical controversy that for many decades has involved the frescoes of Ponte, attributed by some scholars to Felice Scotti, son of Giorgio and nephew of the more famous Gottardo. A biography of this master  is provided through documents and sources; it is intended as preparatory to the study of the frescoes of San Maurizio and to the recomposition of the Master of Ponte’s catalogue, into which the author enters some frescoes of the  church of the Certosa di Pavia, three panels of a polyptych certainly created for a church in the surroundings of Como or in Como itself, and the decorations of one of the late fifteenth-century vaults of the church of Santa Eufemia in  Teglio. Through the analysis of these paintings, it is outlined a profile of the master which coincides in many aspects with what we know of Felice Scotti from documents, but above all with the opinion expressed at the end of the  eighteenth century by Luigi Lanzi commenting the lost cycle and the altarpiece of the chapel of San Bernardino in Santa Croce in Boscaglia, painted from Scotti in 1495.

Il contributo è incentrato sul pregevole ciclo di affreschi che decora la cappella della Beata Vergine nella chiesa di San Maurizio a Ponte, appannaggio nei secoli della Scuola omonima, che riuniva le maggiori personalità dell’importante comune valtellinese, tutte appartenenti alla agnazione dei Quadrio. Si premette alla trattazione del ciclo e allo studio del suo autore un affondo sulla famiglia Scotti e sulla querelle critica che da molti decenni coinvolge gli affreschi pontaschi, attributi da parte degli studiosi alla figura di Felice Scotti, figlio di Giorgio e nipote del più noto Gottardo. Del maestro viene fornita una biografia per documenti e fonti, propedeutica allo studio degli affreschi di San Maurizio e alla ricomposizione del catalogo del pittore, nel quale vengono fatti confluire alcuni affreschi presenti nella chiesa della Certosa di Pavia, tre tavole di un polittico nato certamente per il contesto comasco e le decorazioni di una delle volte tardoquattrocentesche della chiesa di Santa Eufemia a Teglio. Si delinea un profilo del pittore che collima per molti aspetti con quanto sappiamo di Felice Scotti per documenti, ma soprattutto con il giudizio espresso a fine Settecento da Luigi Lanzi dinanzi al perduto ciclo e alla pala della cappella di San Bernardino in Santa Croce in Boscaglia dipinti dallo Scotti.

Scultura picta in Valtellina (1490-1505 circa)
by Carlo Cairati pages: 21 € 6.00
Abstract
The essay investigates Renaissance wooden sculpture both in Valtellina and in Alto Lario, between about 1490 and 1505. Specifically, the text presents the first results of a work in progress about painted wooden statues, decorated  with gilding, that combines new archival researches with a recognition in these territories. The treatment focuses on the works carved by Giacomo and Giovanni Angelo Del Maino in Grosotto, Bellano, Varenna, Sernio, Tirano and  Ponte in Valtellina. At the same time are presented new attributions to these sculptors, especially to Giacomo. This is a usefull topic to deal with the study of painting in Valtellina and Alto Lario. The statues were decorated by trusted  painters, that collaborated closely with the carvers, such as Felice Scotti or the so called Maestro bramantesco di Grosio, who we can now indentify with the Pavese painter Andrea Clerici.

Il saggio indaga la scultura lignea rinascimentale sia in Valtellina che in Alto Lario, tra il 1490 e il 1505 circa. Nello specifico, il testo presenta i primi risultati di un lavoro in corso sulle statue lignee dipinte, decorate con dorature, che unisce nuove ricerche d’archivio con una ricognizione in questi territori. La trattazione si concentra sulle opere scolpite da Giacomo e Giovanni Angelo Del Maino a Grosotto, Bellano, Varenna, Sernio, Tirano e Ponte in Valtellina. Allo stesso tempo vengono presentate nuove attribuzioni a questi scultori, in particolare a Giacomo. Questo è un argomento utile per affrontare lo studio della pittura in Valtellina e nell’Alto Lario. Le statue furono decorate da pittori di fiducia, che collaborarono strettamente con gli intagliatori, come Felice Scotti o il cosiddetto Maestro bramantesco di Grosio, che oggi possiamo identificare con il pittore pavese Andrea Clerici.

 

Appunti sull’altare di Sant’Abbondio nel Duomo di Como
by Cristina Quattrini pages: 12 € 6.00
Abstract
The wooden altar of Sant’Abbondio in the Cathedral of Como, carved by Giovanni Angelo Del Maino around 1514, has always been considered separately from the later paintings by Bernardino Luini and Gaudenzio Ferrari that  enclosed it. This essay examines the altar ensemble and proposes a reconstruction of the original arrangement of the wings and a hypothesis on the author of the polychromy of the reliefs by Giovanni Angelo Del Maino.

L’altare ligneo di Sant’Abbondio nel Duomo di Como, scolpito da Giovanni Angelo Del Maino intorno al 1514, è sempre stato considerato separatamente dalle tele di Bernardino Luini e di Gaudenzio Ferrari, sensibilmente più tarde, che lo racchiudevano. Questo contributo prende in esame il complesso nella sua interezza e propone una ricostruzione dell’assetto originario delle ante e un’ipotesi sull’autore della policromia dei rilievi lignei di Giovanni Angelo del Maino.

Novità e considerazioni per Gian Andrea De Magistris in Alta Brianza e in Valtellina
by Simonetta Coppa pages: 12 € 6.00
Abstract
the subject of the paper is the discussion of two fresco-cycles by the painter Gian Andrea De Magistris (known 1482-1529). the first one, in the church of San Martino in Carella (Eupilio), can be dated soon after 1510, the year  inscribed on an altar commemorating a series of miracles which caused the summoning of Gian Andrea. the village of Eupilio, situaded in the upper brianza area, between Milan and Como, was the birthplace of the De Magistris  family, which enumerates several painters, among them his brother Giacomo and his son Sigismondo. the second cycle, dated 1514 and here for the first time attributed to Gian Andrea De Magistris, is in the church of San Domenico  in regoledo (Cosio) near Morbegno, in lower Valtellina. these frescoes are put in comparison with other works of the painter in Eupilio, in the brianza and in the Como area, chronologically placed during the second decade of the 16th century.

Oggetto del contributo è la trattazione di due cicli di affreschi del pittore Gian Andrea De Magistris (notizie 1482-1529). Il primo, nella chiesa di San Martino in Carella (Eupilio), è databile subito dopo il 1510, anno iscritto su un altare, che ricorda una serie di miracoli che portarono alla convocazione di Gian Andrea. Il borgo di Eupilio, situato nell’alta Brianza, tra Milano e Como, ha dato i natali alla famiglia De Magistris, che annovera diversi pittori, tra cui il fratello Giacomo e il figlio Sigismondo. Il secondo ciclo, datato 1514 e qui attribuito per la prima volta a Gian Andrea De Magistris, si trova nella chiesa di San Domenico in Regoledo (Cosio) presso Morbegno, nella bassa Valtellina. Questi affreschi vengono messi a confronto con altre opere del pittore realizzate ad Eupilio, in Brianza e nel comasco, collocate cronologicamente nel secondo decennio del XVI secolo.

Per Gaudenzio Ferrari nel Terziere inferiore. Tradizione e rotture nella pittura del Cinquecento in Valtellina e Alto Lario
by Massimo Romeri pages: 16 € 6.00
Abstract
The aim of this study is to reconstruct the work and the influence of Gaudenzio Ferrari in Terziere inferiore, the Southern part of Valtellina, thanks to some important new findings. The analysis of primary sources and some comparisons between artworks by Gaudenzio and by other artists working in this territory are pivotal to identify and measure his influence. The article on one hand returns a cross-section of the wiggle and diverse artistic context in  the 1520s and 1530s in Valtellina, on the other hand brings new assumptions to the discussion. If the artistic tradition depending on Gaudenzio gradually dies out after he leaves the area, in the following decades the persistence of  his models is to be searched in artworks made or by artists coming from outside the valley or by solitary followers. To the activity and career of these last disciples, the research tries to add new pieces of information.

Lo studio si propone di ricostruire, con alcune importanti novità, l’attività e l’influenza di Gaudenzio Ferrari nel Terziere inferiore della Valtellina. L’influenza dell’artista si misura attraverso la lettura delle fonti e alcuni confronti tra opere di Gaudenzio e di altri artisti presenti sul territorio. L’articolo da un lato restituisce uno spaccato del mutevole e diversificato contesto artistico valtellinese degli anni Venti e Trenta del Cinquecento, dall’altro introduce nella discussione nuove ipotesi. Se la tradizione artistica dipendente da Gaudenzio si spegne gradualmente dopo la sua partenza, nei decenni successivi le opere che si rifanno ai suoi modelli sono legate ad arrivi da fuori o ad epigoni isolati di cui si cerca di ricostruire almeno un tratto dell’attività e della carriera.

Il polittico di Gera Lario. Novità per Ambrogio Arcimboldi
by Giovanna Virgilio pages: 16 € 6.00
Abstract
For a long time, to give an author to the polyptych in the church of San Vincenzo, located in Gera Lario (1547), reference has been made to the typological and stylistic affinities with the one located in Cremeno, Valsassina (1534),  which has been initially assigned to Sigismondo De Magistris. At a later date, the discovery of a document kept in the State Archive of Milan gave the opportunity to identify Ambrogio Arcimboldi as the author of the Cremeno  altarpiece and to find out that he received the assignment together with De Magistris. Arcimboldi and De Magistris, who usually worked together, probably have influenced a lot of artists all over the Alto Lario and Valtellina and is for  this reason that the Gera Lario’s polyptych has been ultimately attributed to someone among these painters. this article intends to demonstrate that the altarpiece has been actually made by Ambrogio Arcimboldi and his workshop.  For doing that it is necessary to look back to the origins of the artist trying to widen the number of his works considering not only the ones just known (e.g. the Cremeno altarpiece and the Mystical marriage of Saint Catherine in the  Museo del tesoro of Chiavenna), but also the fresco representing the Life of Jesus in the church of San Giorgio in Alzate brianza (made in 1531 in collaboration with De Magistris), the frescos representing Mary on the throne with  Saints located in the presbytery of the church of Santa Maria in Ferno (1534) and four canvases representing the Life of Mary (1541, bishop’s Palace in Como) that originally were the doors of a lost wooden altarpiece and, lastly, even the cycle of frescos located into the presbytery of the church of San Vincenzo in Gera.

Per molto tempo, per dare un autore al polittico della chiesa di San Vincenzo a Gera Lario (1547), si è fatto riferimento alle affinità tipologiche e stilistiche con il polittico di Cremeno in Valsassina (1534), inizialmente assegnato a Sigismondo De Magistris. In epoca successiva, il ritrovamento di un documento conservato presso l’Archivio di Stato di Milano ha dato l’opportunità di identificare Ambrogio Arcimboldi come autore della pala Cremeno e di scoprire che questi ricevette l’incarico insieme a De Magistris. Arcimboldi e De Magistris, che solitamente lavoravano insieme, hanno probabilmente influenzato molti artisti in tutto l’Alto Lario e in Valtellina, motivo per cui il polittico di Gera Lario è stato infine attribuito a qualcuno tra questi pittori. Questo articolo intende dimostrare che la pala è stata effettivamente realizzata da Ambrogio Arcimboldi e dalla sua bottega. Per fare ciò è necessario risalire alle origini della carriera dell’artista, cercando di ampliare il suo catalogo, considerando non solo le opere appena conosciute (ad esempio la Pala Cremeno e lo Sposalizio mistico di Santa Caterina nel Museo del tesoro di Chiavenna) , ma anche l’affresco raffigurante la Vita di Gesù nella chiesa di San Giorgio ad Alzate Brianza (realizzato nel 1531 in collaborazione con De Magistris), gli affreschi raffiguranti Maria in trono con santi situati nel presbiterio della chiesa di Santa Maria in Ferno (1534) e quattro tele raffiguranti la Vita di Maria (1541, Palazzo Vescovile di Como) che in origine erano le porte di una perduta pala lignea e, infine, anche il ciclo di affreschi collocato nel presbiterio della chiesa di San Vincenzo a Gera.

Il restauro del polittico di Gera Lario. Materiali per una rilettura dell’opera
by Damiano Spinelli pages: 10 € 6.00
Abstract
The restoration of the altarpiece of church of San Vincenzo in Gera Lario, which was completed in December 2022, has shed a new light on this painting. At the same time, it has given the opportunity to study and critically analyze  the work thoroughly, integrating and sometimes changing the previous assumptions. Among the main new elements, the discovery of a date written on the predella back has made it possible to limit the chronology of the altarpiece  to 1549. Once recovered in the laboratory, the painted panels were subjected to UV fluorescence analysis, aimed at determining the distribution of varnishes and retouches. An infrared reflectographie campaign has made it possible  to clearly read the underdrawing and therefore to obtain useful information about the genesis of the painting, the workshop practice and the division of tasks between the master and his collaborators. Finally, the study of the  decorative elements, the gilding, the halos and the wooden carpentry has helped to confirm the attribution of the altarpiece to the Milanese Giuseppe Arcimboldi, suggested by Giovanna Virgilio. In fact, notable affinities have emerged between the Gera Lario polyptych and the Cremeno one, certainly autographic.

Il restauro del polittico della chiesa di San Vincenzo a Gera Lario, che si è concluso nel mese di dicembre 2022, ha dato nuova luce al dipinto e ha permesso, al contempo, di studiare e approfondire criticamente l’opera, integrando e talvolta cambiando le ipotesi precedenti. Tra i principali elementi di novità si segnala la scoperta, durante lo smontaggio propedeutico all’intervento, di una data sul retro della predella, che ha permesso di circoscrivere con precisione al 1549 la cronologia della macchina d’altare. Giunte in laboratorio, le singole tavole che compongono il polittico sono state sottoposte ad analisi in fluorescenza UV, volte a determinare la distribuzione delle vernici e dei ritocchi. Molto utile, inoltre, si è rivelata la campagna di Riflettografie in Infrarosso, che ha permesso di leggere con chiarezza il disegno preparatorio e di ottenere, dunque, utili informazioni sulla genesi dell’opera e sulla prassi utilizzata in bottega, nella ipotetica divisione dei compiti tra il maestro e i collaboratori. Infine, lo studio degli apparati decorativi, delle dorature, delle aureole e della carpenteria lignea ha contribuito a supportare e confermare l’attribuzione del complesso, proposta da Giovanna Virgilio, al milanese Giuseppe Arcimboldi. Sono infatti emerse affinità notevoli tra il polittico di Gera Lario e quello di Cremeno, certamente autografo.

 

SEGNALAZIONI

La Giuditta di Fede Galizia firmata con il sangue di Oloferne
by Filippo Maria Ferro pages: 4 € 6.00
Abstract
A recently discovered Judith with the head of Holofernes is added to the catalogue of Fede Galizia (ca 1578-1630). the model best known until now is the late mannerist one, replicated in famous examples executed in a period of  time between 1596 (date of the canvas now in the ringling Museum in Sarasota) and around 1610. A previous youthful canvas subsequently appeared, published in this same journal in 2019. the Judith presented here, signed with  the blood of Holofernes, is located in the second decade of the 17th century and shows a different and advanced phase of Fede, now projected into complexity of the 17th century naturalism, sensitive to the suggestions of  Caravaggio and of the contemporary painters gathered around the figure of Federico borromeo.

Una Giuditta con la testa di Oloferne, scoperta di recente, si aggiunge al catalogo di Fede Galizia (1578 ca-1630). Il modello finora più noto è quello tardo manierista, replicato in celebri esemplari eseguiti in un arco di tempo compreso tra il 1596 (data della tela ora al Museo Ringling di Sarasota) e il 1610 circa. Successivamente comparve una precedente tela giovanile, pubblicata in questa stessa rivista nel 2019. La Giuditta qui presentata, firmata col sangue di Oloferne, si colloca nel secondo decennio del XVII secolo e mostra una fase diversa e avanzata di Fede, ormai proiettato nella complessità del naturalismo secentesco, sensibile alle suggestioni di Caravaggio e dei pittori contemporanei raccolte attorno alla figura di Federico Borromeo.

 

Le finiture dei chiostri del monastero di Sant’Ambrogio a Milano, sede dell’Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
by Vittoria Castoldi, Luciano Formica, Mariacristina Sironi pages: 9 € 6.00
Abstract
The Bramante cloisters, since the eighties of the 20th century, have been the subject of constant care that has led to restoration and maintenance of the façades. This restoration works have ensured optimal conservation, but also  allowed careful observation of the material characteristics that, combined with a search for graphic and iconographic documents, allowed to investigate the changes that the surfaces have undergone over time. Two 19th century  paintings document the presence of lime washes that hide the terracotta facing of the Ionic cloister that was brought back to view during the works directed by Giovanni Muzio in the ’30s. Careful observation of the surfaces allowed  us to identify fragments of previous washes, including one, based on lime white and black pigment, which, before the 19th century, covered not only the cloisters, but also the frescoed vaults of the Aula Magna. The fortuitous  recovery of fragments, removed by strappo and transferred on canvas, have provided data of great value on the features of the ancient decoration of the Doric cloister, frescoed in a bright red with highlights.

I chiostri del Bramante sono stati, a partire dagli anni Ottanta del XX secolo, oggetto di una cura costante che ha portato al restauro e alla manutenzione delle facciate. Tali interventi hanno garantito un’ottimale conservazione, ma hanno anche consentito un’attenta osservazione delle caratteristiche materiche che, abbinata alla ricerca di documenti grafici e iconografici, hanno permesso di indagare i cambiamenti che le superfici hanno subito nel corso tempo. Due dipinti ottocenteschi documentano la presenza di lavature a calce che nascondono il rivestimento in cotto del chiostro ionico, riportato alla luce durante i lavori diretti da Giovanni Muzio negli anni Trenta. Un’attenta osservazione delle superfici ha permesso di individuare frammenti di precedenti lavaggi, tra cui uno, a base di pigmento bianco di calce e nero, che, prima dell’Ottocento, ricopriva non solo i chiostri, ma anche le volte affrescate dell’Aula Magna. Il fortuito recupero di frammenti, rimossi con strappo e trasferiti su tela, hanno fornito dati di grande valore sulle caratteristiche dell’antica decorazione del chiostro dorico, affrescato in un rosso vivo con riflessi.

Enter the code to activate the service.